BOX 61.1 OVERVIEW OF KIDNEY POINTS
• Affect the inner aspect of leg, genitals, urinary system, abdomen, chest, throat.
• Affect the Uterus and menstruation.
• Important points to tonify the Original Qi (Yuan Qi) and the Essence (Jing).
• Strengthen the Kidney's receiving of Qi (chronic asthma).
• Strengthen the lower back.
KI-1 YONGQUAN BUBBLING SPRING
Well (Jing) point.
Nourishes Yin and clears Empty-Heat.
Regulates the Lower Burner.
Extinguishes interior Wind.
Calms the Mind.
Dry tongue, dry throat, dizziness, tinnitus, night sweating.
Constipation, difficu lt defecation, difficult urination, abdominal pain in pregnancy with urinary retention, abdominal fullness, umbilical pain, infertility, impotence.
Epilepsy, headache, vertigo.
Agitation, insomnia, poor memory, fear, rage with desire to kill people, manic behaviour.
Unconsciousness from Wind-stroke.
KI-1 has a marked reducing effect on the body's Qi and is used in Excess patterns.
Firstly, it tonifies Yin and clears Empty-Heat deriving from Yin deficiency. Since it nourishes Yin and clears Empty-Heat, it is frequently used for the pattern of Yin deficiency with Empty-Heat in the Heart (Heart and Kidney not harmonized).
KI-1 also extinguishes internal Wind, hence its use for epilepsy and to promote resuscitation. It can be used in acute situations when the person is unconscious, to restore consciousness and clear the brain.
It has a very strong calming effect on the Mind, and is used in severe anxiety or mental illness such as hypomania.
Being on the sole of the foot, it has a strong sinking action, that is, it eliminates pathogenic factors (such as Wind or Empty-Heat) from the head and it brings down rebellious ascending Qi (particularly Liver-Yang or Liver-Wind).
BOX 61.2 KI-1: SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS
• Nourishes Yin and clears Empty-Heat (dry tongue, dry throat, dizziness, tinnitus, night sweating).
• Regulates the Lower Burner (constipation, difficult defecation, difficult urination, abdominal pain in pregnancy with urinary retention, abdominal fullness, umbilical pain, infertility, impotence).
• Extinguishes interior Wind (epilepsy, headache, vertigo).
• Calms the Mind (agitation, insomnia, poor memory, fear, rage with desire to kill people, manic behaviour).
• Restores consciousness (unconsciousness from Wind-stroke).